I like a challenge. And, I thought, there is no way I am going to let this quilt sit one moment longer, once I realized how many years it had already sat. (2005? That's not that long ago...uh, yes it is...8 years!!) Besides it will look lovely on the bed in the guest room/sewing room in our Florida condo! So, here is the first method I came up with for the first sawtooth border. It is from the book, The Border Workbook by Janet Kime. It reminds me of seminole piecing that I did years ago. I cut 2.5" strips of each fabric, making the most of my striped twill, since I needed the blue part only:
I sewed these together, and then drew a line 1/2" down from the top edge on the prairie point fabric. I cut them apart in 2.25" sections, and then joined them in pairs, matching the drawn line on one section to the seam on the other. Sewed the pairs together into fours, etc., until I had a strip the length of the side of the quilt. You can see the strip below. From here I cut the strip into the prairie points, leaving 1/4" seam allowance above each point. This gave me my 1.25" high (finished) dogtooths (huh? dogteeth? Never mind. Prairie Points!)
I used Steam-a-Seam, dabbed spray starch on the seam allowance using a Q-tip, and pressed the seam allowances under. Then I appliquéd around each shape using monofilament thread and a very narrow zigzag. For the centres of the roses (such small circles!) I decided to just do raw-edge appliqué with the monofilament and narrow zigzag. On the stars, I used a Sulky blendable in 30 weight and a straight stitch.
I wanted to emphasize the seashells theme a little more, so from the seashell fabric I fussycut several and raw-edge appliquéd them in a couple of places on the border instead of more stars. I really like the result.
So the top is now complete (see my very first post for a picture) and I have pieced the back. I also made a custom label. Here it is in the process of being written upon: