To refresh your memory, I made the centre 6.5" block. I mailed it off to Tish, who added the paper-pieced Friendship stars (those 12 babies finish at 3" square!). From Tish it went to Julie, who added the floral rectangles, skinny town print with Doxies in it(!) and the corner offset square in a square. She then sent it to Cindy, who did the stunning, tie-it-all-together final 3" finished round.
I quilted this on my longarm, Avril using Aurifil thread. I wasn't going to but then when I knew I'd be doing a fair amount of ruler work, I thought nope, it's going on Avril where I have a ruler foot and a great ruler. I am finding that I really need to buy a 6" ruler; the 12" one is a bit too awkward for smaller areas and smaller quilts. Aurifil 2600 was the bomb for this quilt! I used it in every round except for the final elongated purple triangles in the final border, which is where I used 2625.
|Centre done, working on the stars round|
Sidenote: did you see/hear that FINALLY Bernina has listened to our incredulity that they do not make a ruler foot (you have to get a generic foot from Westalee and then buy an attachment from Bernina; I investigated all this last winter) and they are now making one? Great news, long overdue IMHO.
I approached this 24" quilt a little differently than I would a large one; I started in the centre and worked my way through each round, because I wanted to do something different in each one. This meant a little more back and forth rolling of the quilt, but I'm very comfortable doing that now that I have been on a few recent quilts, (need to write a post on the advancing/backing up/handling of some quilting motifs I know).
For the stars you can see I quilted an "X" from point to opposite point and then filled in with a elongated 'V' (dot to dot technique). Then I did a checkerboard design that I first saw on Leah Day's 400+ FMQ Designs. I left the middle squares with one single line. That line allowed me to travel from one star to another. ;-)
In Julie's round I did feathers in the rectangle border, treating the the two strips as one unit. These are Kathleen-style echoed ones which I just love doing. Fast and fun!
In Cindy's round I got a little more fancy.
|A Natalia Bonner technique here in the purple triangles and purple/yellow square|
I bound the quilt with the last of the pretty blue/green/purple Monet-type print that I'd put on either side of the centre house block. I used up the rest of the Quilters' Town fabric on the back.
|Didn't have quite enough, so I sewed the label in as a part of the backing, piecing in three more rectangles to make that strip wide enough, and then sewed on a piece of the fabric I used for my Nesting Bowls|
One last photo in the shade:
Compare the first photo with this last one.... Oh how I love the sun for showing off quilting! Hoping we get some tomorrow so I can do Dayna's quilt justice! It's been far too gloomy for this blogger's liking.
Pattern: Original Design
Size: 23.5" square
Fabric: scraps and stash
Batting: Pellon Legacy 100% Polyester
Quilted: on Avril the Avanté; 52 939 stitches
Threads: pieced with various cottons; quilted with Aurifil 2600 and 2625; The Bottom Line in the bobbin
Linking up with Beth at Cooking Up Quilts.
And also with Julie's ongoing Round Robin Link-up at Pink Doxies.