The power suddenly went out. In the daytime??? I quick went on the Hydro One website for power outages and read that a crew was on it, and estimated outage time was ....
I may have said one (or more) very bad words. I gave it one hour, went and had a bite of lunch, did a little browsing on Instagram, paced around a bit, and then suddenly, half an hour later, poof! It was back on. So this was able to happen at the Leamington Marina this afternoon!
All of the fabrics in the quilt were supplied by Island Batik, the batting by Hobbs Batting, and the threads for quilting by Aurifil. This month we were to use tools in our sewing rooms to make a lap size or larger quilt. I used several tools, but the main ones were the Sidekick ruler by Jaybird Quilts, along with her Hex N More ruler.
So, the sun teased me all day long. We haven't seen much of it, let's be honest, pretty much none of it for the past near week. Today, photo-shoot day, water-bound day, I watched it like a hawk, when it did show itself... When the time finally came, I asked MacGyver if he felt like doing three takes:
- take a run to Leamington marina
- to take some quilt photos, and
- take advantage of the Leamington Starbuck's BOGO Thursday Happy Hour.
This particular quilt journey is amazing to me, working on the design wall without a clear idea of the quilt design. It's amazing when I look back and see this from a couple of weeks ago:
The process posts are here and here. I left you with the flimsy at the dancing corner triangles stage. I knew I'd do another border, and my heart said, "Ooh! triangles all the way around!" but my head said, "That's a ton of work, Sandra, and the end of the month is nigh." So we compromised but doing a partial frame, and as soon as I thought of that I knew how I'd quilt that border, and that rarely happens. Usually I get my border ideas once the quilt is loaded or once the border is all sewn on. No, I knew I'd do ghost triangles! They show up pretty good below.
Again, all that white, all that negative space was begging for some custom quilting, and again, the time was a marching on, so I was thinking maybe gently undulating water-like lines could go across the entire quilt...
However. After I quilted the ghost triangles, I could not just do that. I decided to do the water-like lines and threw in little waves here and there in the star. I knew I'd do some kind of dot-to-to design in the inner purple star. I've followed Natalia Bonner's blog, Piece 'n Quilt, for a few years now, and I've been following her 365 Ruler Quilt Along since she started it in June. I am not doing it; I just look at the designs she comes up with, and sometimes watch the videos. The triangle designs weren't too long ago, so I thought I could maybe use one or two of those in this quilt....and I did!
A kelpie is a shape-shifting water spirit who lives in the lochs of Scotland.
|Loch Ness, Scotland this past August|
|This is a very 'true colours' shot.|
And then the triangles shifted, eventually becoming the six-pointed star, well, a star within a star even! Perfect. Now, kelpies can be malevolent, luring humans to their death in the water by taking on the form of a lovely maiden, or a pretty pony... Not such a pleasant image! Still, I love the mystical aspect of them and I suspect the danger associated with them was a warning to children to stay well away from bodies of water.
I got the idea of quilting something behind the star once I had done the ghost triangles in the top border and decided upon the undulating lines in the star. I love layers in quilts, as you know. The idea of an arc came to me, so I pulled out my Quilted Pineapple rulers and found one, the 20, that would work quite nicely. The shot below shows a couple of the arcs off quite well. That darn setting sun which is so lovely for glowing quilt photos, apparently, was still hidden by some thin clouds, so I didn't get as good texture shots as I'd hoped. The arcs are echoed, and have a 1.5" band in which I did ribbon candy. The 'fan' part of it I divided in four sections and did a squiggly line between the straight ones.
You can see I did a scrappy binding, stitching it down to the front of the quilt, pressing it and glue-basting it to the back and then stitching in the ditch to catch it.
|Another shot of the ghost triangles, the arcs, and oh yeah, check out Avril's tension, especially on the purple where I used 28 wt thread.|
I still missed a few spots, had to go back and catch them...oh yeah, and I forgot again to insert my satin label, so I had to rip out a small section of the binding, insert it, and stitch it back down...I could write another entire post (I may just do that) on all the mistakes in this quilt.
Here is the back!! I didn't want to lay the white front face down at the marina where lots of seagulls and ducks abound.
You may recall I'd mentioned I had a couple of leftover triangle blocks I'd maybe use for my label? Well I did!
Here is one last attempt to get a good texture shot:
Pattern: Original design based on Jaybird Quilts Gravity triangles
Size: 52 X 56"
Fabric: Island Batik
Backing: Island Batik
Batting: Hobbs 80/20 bleached cotton/polyester
Threads: pieced on my Bernina with Aurifil and Gütermann cotton; quilted with Aurifil 50 wt white and Aurifil 28 wt dusty mauve, The Bottom Line in the bobbin
Tools I used:
Hex N More ruler
Quilted Pineapple curves rulers, 20 and 8
Slim ruler by Angela Walters
Omnigrid rulers: 24" rectangle, 15" square, 12" rectangle, 9.5" square
Blue line marker
Elmer's school glue
I could go on.... (but it's way past my bedtime)
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
The Madd Quilter
Alycia Quilts-Quilty Girl
TGIFF at Madame Tailor
My Quilt Infatuation
Quilting & Learning - What a Combo!
Dizzy Quilts for the Q4FAL