We had a gorgeous hot start to the week here, but I didn't do the photos until yesterday...in the rain. It is still raining today, and woke me up in the night with its pouring so hard. If you look closely, you can see drops hanging from the deck rails! The colours are a little washed out (pun not originally intended) because of the grey skies; they are much richer and more vibrant in person.
Looking at the label, I see I finished this quilt in 2010.
This is one of a few Buggy Barn patterns I have, two of which I've made, a third has the fabric all pulled, just needs making! It's a very cool, random method, much like Karla Anderson's Stack the Deck method. The Buggy Barn is a little more complex; sections are stacked and then slashed, and then the sections are sewn back together to make the block.
I bought the stack of fat quarters from a shop that was in Bradenton, Florida, at the time, now moved to Sarasota, Cotton Patch Quilt Shop. Every January 1, same day as the Super Bowl, yep, she has a huge fat quarter sale, and back then they were $1 each I believe. I needed 25, one per block. Oh I had fun pulling them. Although I love the brighter hues of today's colours in quilts, I still do love, especially in autumn and winter, these rich deep ones.
I stitched in the ditch around each block and sashing unit. For quilting I used several Sulky threads. Rayons and Blendables I can see on the front, with a burgundy cotton, probably Mettler or Gütermann, on the back. My Bernina has such wonderful tension, doesn't she? No eyelashes or pokies anywhere.
|Ah, that glorious texture!|
A longarmer once asked me if I had the stitch regulator Bernina, but nope, I bought mine in 2003 before they were out, and I didn't buy one when they did come out. Lots of practice, and lots of just going for it and trying not to fret too much as I learned. In 2010 I'd been FMQ-ing for 15 years though. I still do my fair share of fretting, both about what to quilt and at the imperfections as I am quilting. However, I do know that it will all be fine in the end: step back and go, 'Ahhh! I did that. ' 😁
Some of the cornflowers got loopy petal quilting while others got squared-off petal quilting. I did freehand arcs in the flying geese; I didn't have any rulers then. In fact, I only got my Bernina ruler foot a year ago. I would have used the Quilting in Thirds method (my own tutorial is there) I learned of in a book out of the library, which, along with basting spray, and Kathy Sandbach on Simply Quilts, and the subsequent purchase of her books, changed my quilting life! The petals don't quite match up perfectly with the slashing that's involved, so the pattern had you stitch a big button at that meeting point in each of the flowers. I had to work hard to collect 25 big buttons, from my own collection as well as from my mum's.
Here is the entire back:
I started sewing the blocks at a guild retreat, so this quilt not only makes me think of that happy time (retreats are just the best) but also of the happy time spent choosing the 25 fat quarters in the shop in Florida, where it was a helluva lot warmer than Edmonton, Alberta on January 1, ha!
Pattern: Cone Flower Crazies by Buggy Barn
Size: 57 X 70"
Backing: a marbled one, and another from Fabricland R.E.D. brand
Batting: Warm n Natural 100% cotton
Threads: pieced on my Bernina with Mettler and/or Gütermann; quilted with Sulky threads, both rayon and Blendables