My finish this week is not a sports-related team. I'm not a big sports follower. However, there are non-sports teams that I wholly support, and one has to do with animals, The Windsor Humane Society.
Isn't that a cool logo? It took me a second to see all three animals... When I saw their colours were blue and white, I knew immediately what I'd do: a second challenge quilt for Island Batik, well, actually a third, because the first one is THE quilt I originally had planned, and it IS a flimsy as I type this post...
Q1FAL Instagram post. So four activities have come together here: hosting TGIFF, the Island Batik Challenge, a goal for the Q1FAL reached, and another 'check!' for Project Quilting, in these first two cat mats for the year. I love that.
The Windsor Humane Society's logo colours are blue and white, so I made my mats in a bunch of blues from my first two years of being an ambassador, and added in a couple of white squares. As soon as I cut out the two white squares, I knew one would get an appliquéd paw print and the other a quilted paw print.
I looked in my stash of leftover Crafted Appliqué fabrics, and was I happy to find a black and then the leftover grey from my Om Coasters, (first IB and first PQ project). Both Island Batik! I cut a bunch, well 24 to be exact, of 5" squares, two of each, four of the whites, laid them out, stitched them up, and appliquéd a pawprint on each top.
Back inside, I tried to perch Bella on them. Any other quilt in progress, she always has to test it out. Maybe it was because I put them on the kitchen counter where she knows she's not allowed, but she hopped off in short order.
Back in my sewing space, I put a few scraps of batting behind the appliquéd paws and FMQ-topstitched around them to secure them. Generally this method doesn't need the top-stitching, and holds just fine, but these will be getting a lot of washing, so best to be secure.
Why did I do this before layering the mats and quilting? Because I stuffed them with...
Leftover trimmings of fabric and batting! Can't exactly quilt through them. Some of these went in one, and polyester craft stuffing went in the other. I lightly stuffed half of the mat, quilted down the centre, and then stuffed the other half. They're still fairly poofy, but I know kitties will smoosh them down once they spend hours each day lying their little tushies on them.
One of the mats was sewn rights sides together and then turned rights sides out. The other was done with the technique I used on all the placemats I made last year, bringing the backing to the front and stitching it down so it looks like a binding. I took a bunch of photos for a tutorial for a few of you who asked, so stay tuned for that to be on the blog later this month. It makes really nice mitred corners.
I hunted through the stash to find some animal-themed prints. I knew I had a few, some of my own and some given to me by a friend who did a ton of sewing for pet shelters. I was ecstatic to find two blue fat quarters! Perfect for backings! Usually we don't show the back if it's not Island Batik, but these are old lines of regular cotton from a few years or more ago, so I think it's okay this time!
I remembered my label for each one. 😀 Thank you to Island Batik for supplying the fabric for the tops, to Aurifil for the thread I used to piece, FMQ and quilt down the centre of each one. I also used Schmetz Microtex needles, awesome for batiks and other fine fabrics, which I purchased. They are one of our new sponsors this year.
Pattern: Original design
Size: 18.5 X 13.5"
Fabric: Island Batik
Batting: cotton scraps in one, polyester stuffing in another
Quilted: on my Bernina
Threads: pieced, appliquéd and quilted down the centre on my Bernina with Aurifil 50 wt
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
The Madd Quilter
Alycia Quilts-Quilty Girl
Now let's celebrate your finish this week! Hope you'll visit a few of the links below and spread some comment love.