This was a bit of an ornery quilt. I ripped and re-sewed a lot more than I usually do. I think the orientation of the HSTs churned my menopausal melon into a bit of a watermelon slushy. The quilt also had a bit of an independent streak, and didn't want to stay within the original plan. However, I am not above admitting when the quilt was right and my original design was not, so "Come on in" and see all her triangles and squares oriented correctly.
This was my original design, if you recall, #5/30 in the 30 Quilt Designs Challenge that is still going on (and you can still hop on board, just shoot me an email with your first design):
and here is the finished flimsy:
For some reason I thought I had two symmetrical blocks in this block. Nope. They are identical...
just coloured differently, and rotated at 90° turns across the quilt. I couldn't wrap my head around that for most of the quilt construction! Outside of four grey large triangles and the large yellow ones, every piece, even the 2 1/2" border strips, was cut with the Accuquilt Go! cutter and dies. The only reason the yellow ones are not cut and pieced is because I only had one 5" strip of that fabric, so I had to cut it with the least amount of piecing possible. Challenges right?
When it came to adding the border, I thought (or rather the quilt nudged me) to say it would add a little pizzazz and punch up the yellow to have another HST in each corner of the white border. So, at the design wall, I placed two extra HSTs I had in two of the corners and thought, uh huh! (Don't ask me why I had extra of some triangles, not enough of many others, just another example of the smack myself in the forehead that went on while making this quilt.) Then, since the quilt had had its way there, it suggested perhaps it may be interesting to let some of the quilt centre flow into that same white border by extending the pink square in a square. This would accentuate the cross effect through the centre of the quilt. Tried a couple of extra pink and a few extra grey HSTs (see below why I had four extra of those) on the design wall to see.... Oh yes. So, again, I listened to the quilt and then put on the final grey border in order to bring it up to the minimum size for the challenge, 40".
Those extra grey HSTs: do you notice another subtle difference between the original design and the flimsy? Well! When I looked at the EQ design that I'd inserted here for the post, I noticed something. Wait a minute.... The centre square on my EQ design is grey! In fabric it's white! Shoot! And I'd already started quilting... I don't think I should call this baby quilt 'Terrible Twos' but I'm tempted!
So quilting has started. With a few bumps while I try to remember where I've stashed my quilting supplies on two floors and some in the garage during renovations....
- I pulled out some Hobbs Batting (supplied to us ambassadors, and I know exactly where I put it)
- I'm quilting on my Bernina because I can't find the shorter leaders for Avril right now, but I am pretty sure which Rubbermaid tub they are in...in the garage....
- found -yay!- my basting spray, a little dab'll do ya...good thing as I don't have much left.
I love going back to my Bernina from time to time on smaller quilts. She is such a smooth operator (cue the song). And the original quilt plan is starting to take a backseat to some emerging ideas. But of course.
I've decided to write the tutorial for Pasque Star and offer it free here on the blog. Be sure to check back for the quilted quilt in a day or two, and the tutorial will be forthcoming shortly thereafter!