I kept the quilting simple, first just doing SITD with my walking foot. I used the same orange variegated thread I'd used on the quilt.
Last night, at exactly this moment in quilting the cushion cover, I received a text from Dayna's sister-in-law, Casey. Casey loved the quilt from the beginning through all the QAL stages last spring, often commenting on my Insta posts. She was an incredible support to Dayna through the wedding planning process, even flew from her home in Nashville up to Detroit for Dayna's bachelorette, for which she did most of the planning. She organized an incredibly thoughtful gift of a book of photos with accompanying notes, well wishes, advice and memories from Dayna's closest friends and family.
|Bella supervising, as always. Here you can see the little bit of FMQ I had to add.😍|
Back to the text...
Back to the cushion/pillow cover:
I did not pay attention at all to where I placed the squares. I actually did not overthink this one at all. There are even two reds, though different, touching, and an orange there too...
When Bernie of Needle & Foot sent me the kit I curated for the Beothuk Star QAL, (another post coming tomorrow), I had to add a couple of items to the package; I mean A. it would be rude not to, as my good friend Helen says, and B. stuff as much into that flat-rate envelope as you can, right? I saw this fabric in Bernie's shop, and knew it would make a great binding for an RSC quilt. Then, when I was thinking about a cushion back, I spotted it, and bingo! Perfect! I can see much more of it this way than just as a binding -- bonus!
I like the envelope-style cushion back, and I always bind my pillows. Cushions. Whatever. All good. It just gives them a crisp finish. I used the same binding as I did on the original quilt. Love that robin's egg blue! It's a wonderful solid from Paintbrush Studio, and one I used in my In the Shadow of the Plus quilt that was in the September issue of Modern Patchwork last year. I stitched it down with the variegated aqua thread.
It's a fairly poofy cushion form inside, yet there's enough overlap that you don't see the form. Tip for figuring out how big to cut the two halves of the back: I usually find the centre of the top, so this was 8.25" and then add about 3.5" to that and cut two pieces that measurement, so in this case, 16.5 X 11.75", meh, make it an even 12". A little extra, like dessert, can't hurt!
I used three Aurifil threads I've purchased for the quilting. I'm really liking their 28 ct. It's kind of cool how, when it's on the pillow form, you get a circular shape!
Pattern: based on Postcard from Sweden by jeli quilts
Fabric: Kona solids
Backing: Rainbow Rectangles by Kim Schaefer for Andover, available here (no affiliation)
Batting: Hobbs Cotton Wool blend scrap
Threads: pieced on Billie, my 1947 Featherweight; quilted with Aurifil, 28 and 50 wt, Gütermann and Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin. Binding stitched down with aqua variegated Aurifil.
Dizzy Quilts for the Q1 FAL
Sew Fresh Quilts
My Quilt Infatuation
TGIFF at Slice of Pi Quilts
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Busy Hands Quilts
The Madd Quilter